AC Appliances Electricity Microwave


Q: While trailer is hooked up to tow vehicle, can I use my microwave?

A: Nope, microwave needs AC voltage just like at a house, so you need to be hooked up to either shore power or be running a generator to get the electricity you need to run the microwave.

AC Electricity

EMS vs Surge Suppressor

Q: What is a Surge Suppressor?

A: A surge suppressor stop excessive voltage from coming down the wire to your RV.

Q: What is an EMS?

A: An Electrical Management System or EMS is a step up from a surge suppressor.

Q: Why would I want an EMS instead of a surge suppressor?

A: An EMS and surge suppressor both stop voltage that is too high from coming down the wire into your RV. The difference is an EMS will also stop voltage coming into your RV is it gets too low. Low voltage will possibly ruin things like motors on your furnace, air conditioner, etc. If you can afford the extra cost of an EMS, then get that. Some RVs come with internal EMS built into it, if yours doesn’t then you can purchase an external one.

AC DC Electricity

Converter & Inverter

Q: What is the difference between a converter and an inverter?

A: A converter takes 120Volts Alternating Current (120VAC)(like in your house or shore power) and makes it 12 Volts Direct Current(12vdc) (like the batteries in your RV). An inverter takes 12VDC and makes it 120VAC. Now the catch here is there are two types of inverters. Want to learn more, check out this: