120VAC Electricity Shore Power

NCVT – Non Contact Voltage Tester

Q: What is a NCVT and why do I need one?

A: A noncontact voltage tester detects electricity in a wire or outlet, just by getting near it. It is the size and shape of a fat Sharpie and the detection occurs at the probe tip, which, in many cases, is designed to be pushed into an outlet. Why do you need one? Electricity rates right up there with high blood pressure. HUH? It is a silent killer. Take for example, you pull up to the campground, back your new RV right into the spot all is good. You get ready to hookup your 50 amp/30 amp plug, you grab the metal electrical pedestal, 99%+ of the time, it is all good. But there is that rare instance where the plug might be wired badly and the metal electrical pedestal is electrified and you get shocked. Maybe it is just a small tingle you feel when touching it or maybe you get a serious shock and it knocks you to the ground. Get yourself a NCVT and touch it to the shore power pedestal BEFORE you touch it with your hand and make sure it does NOT beep. Want to know more? My contact info is Joe Testa, text/call 740-206-5822 or email

AC Appliances Electricity Microwave


Q: While trailer is hooked up to tow vehicle, can I use my microwave?

A: Nope, microwave needs AC voltage just like at a house, so you need to be hooked up to either shore power or be running a generator to get the electricity you need to run the microwave.

AC Electricity

EMS vs Surge Suppressor

Q: What is a Surge Suppressor?

A: A surge suppressor stop excessive voltage from coming down the wire to your RV.

Q: What is an EMS?

A: An Electrical Management System or EMS is a step up from a surge suppressor.

Q: Why would I want an EMS instead of a surge suppressor?

A: An EMS and surge suppressor both stop voltage that is too high from coming down the wire into your RV. The difference is an EMS will also stop voltage coming into your RV is it gets too low. Low voltage will possibly ruin things like motors on your furnace, air conditioner, etc. If you can afford the extra cost of an EMS, then get that. Some RVs come with internal EMS built into it, if yours doesn’t then you can purchase an external one.

AC DC Electricity

Converter & Inverter

Q: What is the difference between a converter and an inverter?

A: A converter takes 120Volts Alternating Current (120VAC)(like in your house or shore power) and makes it 12 Volts Direct Current(12vdc) (like the batteries in your RV). An inverter takes 12VDC and makes it 120VAC. Now the catch here is there are two types of inverters. Want to learn more, check out this: